Monday, January 21, 2013

Annyeonghaseyo, Chinguyeo!

Translation: Ello, Friend!
If you know me at all, you know by now that Asia has had me in it’s clutches since 2011, and I’m finally submitting to it whole heartedly and moving abroad. In just 6 short days, I will lug 3 enormous suitcases to the airport, likely pay a ridiculous amount in baggage overage fees, and board a plane bound for Busan, South Korea (byway of Chicago & Seoul, of course). 

Why Korea? Other than the thrill of air raid drills, noribong and an endless supply of kimchi? Well, it’s a means, to start. Teaching English in the ROK is quite a popular option if you are looking at dipping your toes into life as an expatriate - namely because no experience is necessary - only a bachelors degree, clean background check, and to hail from a native english speaking country are required. Bonus points are given if you include a charming, adorable photo of yourself. 

Did I go to school for teaching? NO!

Did I ever see myself as a teacher? Absolutely NOT!

Do I like kids? Mostly!

But you don’t know if you’re good at something until you try it, right? I might be AMAZING at this, or… I might just get by by the skin of my teeth. Either way, it’s bound to be an interesting adventure.

My employer, E Bo Young Talking Club, pays for my apartment, my airfare, my health insurance, and offers a severance bonus for completing my year long contract. Essentially, I have to pay for my food and my fun, which puts me in a spot to save a good chunk of money in the next year. I intend to springboard some future adventures with that loot... (AHEM, Bhutan/Nepal/India anyone???)


15 minutes by foot from my apartment. I see bronzed skin and a ridiculous amount of seafood consumption in my future. Did I mention I don't work until 1:30 pm? Trouble. 

The two times I've left Asia in the past, I've felt unfinished and like I was leaving a little piece of me there. I might have been THAT girl on the flight home, looking out the window, crying. It's a pattern, I swear. I cried when I had to leave summer camp as a kid.

what. a. freak.

And so, I leave North America with no intent of returning in the next year. How THRILLING! Goodbye West, hello East; I'm staying a while this go round. Third time's a charm, Asia!

Much love, 

XO

AO 

No comments:

Post a Comment